With these pleasant thoughts running through my head, I conclude my stroll through the garden and head inside for some breakfast. It is music to my ears to hear the soft and soothing sound of vitamin D milk poured over my Honey Crunchin' Oats. Indeed, I can hardly imagine a sound more glorious. Each flake of cereal sends rapturous feelings coursing through my body. Content, well-fed, and ready for the day, I hit the road.
The Washington beltway has never been more inviting. Say what you will about rush hour traffic, but I find in it a great sense of camaraderie, community, and yes, even love. A fellow driver flashes me a winsome smile as they wave me in from the on-ramp. Ahead of me I see a family, voices raised together in song. Everyone is taking their time, and why not? All the better to soak up every moment of a picture-perfect morning.
After parking I head to the train. All around me are polished people dressed in shiny suits. On my way to the platform, I spot two gentlemen playing a lively game of hopscotch. The train arrives just before I do and I dart towards the door - only just in time! The other travelers laugh and smile good-naturedly at my small triumph. The train arrives at my stop all too soon. After an in-depth discussion with those sitting across from me, I am reluctant to leave my new friends.
Few are as blessed as I am in the workplace. It seems as if my position were carefully molded and crafted specifically for me, with all my likes and dislikes, my strengths and weaknesses taken into account. Nobody else could collate insurance policies with the same unquenchable enthusiasm and vigor! A pile of applications - nay, a tower of opportunities - is presented to me and I eagerly yet patiently enter each little character into the computer. I take pride in my speed and accuracy. The printer runs out of paper and I refill it, once, no, twice! Though much of the day passes with me accomplishing little more than the compression of my seat-cushion, I must be ready. Duty calls unexpectedly, and when it does, I must answer swiftly. As I relax comfortably during my evening train ride, I think to myself, "This is my life. This is happiness."

7 comments:
I want to know what you're on, and where I can get me some! The people I work with enjoyed your humor.
Take pride in the fact that your comment is the reason the post was written.
I like your writing so far; you should not stop.
You're quite good at this.
At moments like this I am profoundly proud to be a Charlton.
I'm sorry I never call. And that we don't have adventures. And that I am moving far far away (and then farther and farther away.)
But what I originally wanted to say was: "I love how your sarcasm reads like a 19th century novel"
That is all.
I like orchids better.
Post a Comment