Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Return

Since by nature I am no writer, I find myself writing only when I have some need, or when I have nothing else to do. Unfortunately for those wishing to attain an accurate impression of my character, the time I am most liable to write is when there is a pall over my mood, and my mind is filled with dark and brooding thoughts. Indeed, though I am newly come from a weekend spent passing from joy to joy, the dream has now ended and I am again beset by normalcy. Consequently, I find myself writing not to convey my temporal gladness but as a means of dealing with the weekend's considerable emotional fallout.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your previous entries belie the first sentence of this one. Perhaps you mean that by nature you are an infrequent writer.

Jonathan said...

Amusing that you should say so. I don't know whether or not I actually anticipated such a comment, but I can remember going over the sentence in my head on the drive to work this morning and coming up with various explanations for it.

I am not a writer by nature. It feels unnatural when I write. It's difficult. It tries my patience. It's frustrating. I nitpick over little things. The going is burdensome and slow. I often enjoy the finished product, but not its creation. Though I may inevitably be considered a writer if I continue to write with regularity, there is nothing natural about it. "Contrived writer" seems nearer the mark.

C.S. said...

But isn't all writing more or less contrived?

I have a similar problem with writing posts.

Malori said...

Hi Jonny!
Wow, some deep thoughts on your blog! Keep it up! Maybe after you keep writing for awhile it'll come more naturally to you (although that's easy for me to say since I've always loved writing...).
Hope you're having a great summer! I'm going to Austria in July for 6 weeks. :) You should give me your address so I can send you a postcard!
~Malori
PS Check out my blog! :)

Jonathan said...

Tope: I think the issue here is that I don't know. I don't know what writing is supposed to feel like. Maybe it's supposed to be painful and awkward and I really am a writer after all.